This is the general overview of the school’ sessions, detailed in the program. A brief description of the sessions is given in the table below:
|Parallel programming||Next generation|
|ESMF||Future directions in HPC|
|Parallel programming||GPU||Adjoint||Future directions in HPC|
Student's poster sessions
|City tour||Concert "Corale Novantanove"|
|Color legend:||Theoretical lecture||Practical session||Social event|
Short description of sessions
- HPC overview: Some history, description of main computer architectures and clusters, overview of world’s top computers, required resources to develop a High Performance Computing service in terms of fundings, professional profiles, infrastructure.
- Good practices: Hints on good programming practices to make codes (e.g. Fortran) more efficient and flexible.
- Batch: Introduction to queuing (batch) systems on clusters.
- Cloud: Overview of cloud services and basics for their effective use (setting up environment, virtual machines, etc.). Techniques for effective storage of large datasets.
- Data management: issues and solutions for efficient access and analysis of large amount of data. Earth System Grid Federation (ESGF), Ophidia.
- Parallel programming: Parallel programming with shared and distributed resources. OpenMP and Message Passing Interface (MPI). Tips and tricks for parallelization of Earth System Science codes.
- Next Generation/GPU: New generation computer architectures for parallel calculus. Many Integrated Core (MIC) architectures, Graphical Processing Units (GPU) programming.
- ESMF: Earth System Modelling Framework, tips and tricks for effective use.
- Adjoint: adjoint model formulation and development for sensitivity simulations.
- Future directions in HPC: overview of upcoming architectures and programming tools.